Central Park - Guillaume Musso

** A fake thriller

This book is not yet available in English, but you can find it in other languages, including Italian, Spanish, German, Greek, Dutch, Russian and many more, and of course in French.

I found this book beautiful until approx. 80%. It was characterised by an intricate story, a succession of twists, and continuous action.
But I noticed: Alice was too much over the top; Gabriel obviously hid something and strangely she did not realise it, or when she did, she was ready to believe his next explanation without asking too much questions; it did not make sense that Alice would not go to the police; in retrospect (knowing the ending) it was even absurd that they decided to steal a mobile phone and a car, and that they got away with it; the story of the date in the watch had made me realise right away that there was something wrong with the timing.
More things I didn’t like, because they gave the idea of ​​being planned arbitrarily, were the transition to flashbacks with the ‘I remember’ introduction and the habit of breaking the scene at the end of a chapter and get it back in the following one. The latter is really a mean trick to push the reader to continue reading and creates dissatisfaction if what the reader wants to do is to stop their reading (you cannot spend all day reading).
In spite of all, I thought I was reading a crime thriller and I expected that in the end the author would bring together the threads, making it at least plausible.
How wrong I was!
In the ending part, the novel implodes.
My suspension of unbelief slipped inexorably until it escaped me, even my judgment dropped from 5 to 3 stars in a few pages. The explanation that the author decides to give about the events is totally improbable. I don’t want to go into detail to avoid too many spoilers, but I can at least say that there isn’t any reason why the male protagonist (Gabriel) should’ve come to do all that he did to get what he wanted. He could do it in a lot easier way. It seems he made it precisely to create a story invented for the benefit of readers. Only you should never come to think of this about a character. If you do, it means that the reader no longer has the illusion that somehow the story might really happen.
In other words, the assumption on which the whole novel is based is not plausible.
Moreover, the epilogue is terrible and this is why my judgment collapsed to 2 stars (it didn’t drop to 1 because, if anything, the book is well written and seems well translated in my language). During the ending I really thought the author had gone mad.
[Warning: spoilers ahead.]
The story ends with the most incredible of romantic endings, without the slightest clue being given in the rest of the book. It comes out of blue, without a reason, without you noticing the slightest emotional connection between the protagonists in the novel.
To make things even worse there are those final lines, along with Gabriel’s long monologue placed on a separate page, halfway through which I just scrolled to get to the end.
[End of spoilers.]
In short, if you want to read a crime thriller, read something else.
One could attribute a new genre to this book: fake thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment