New discoveries and new mysteries in “Saranythia Part 2 - The Varton”

The protagonists of the first part of “Saranythia” (sequel to “Amantarra”) return in this second part that leads us into the heart of the story. We had left them while they were slipping, despite themselves, in the middle of a battle between the daemons and the army of the Varton, now in “Saranythia Part 2: The Varton we find them in the hands of the latter, as they begin to discover the link between the planet where the portal led them and Amantarra’s sister, namely Saranythia. At the same time the figure of the “villain” of this story begins to emerge, which is hidden behind the strange name of Uzpanax.
Richard J. Galloway, as always, mixes elements of science fiction and an excellent world building with irony and mystery and, although this part is characterised by less action than the first, it does not fail to intrigue the reader, who soon finds themselves on the last page.
I also found the part in the Ja’liem forest very interesting and I continue to wonder how this part of the novel will be connected exactly with everything else.
I just have to wait for the next episode. In the meantime, I asked Richard to offer my blog’s readers a special insight on this new book, and he decided to let one of his characters, Commander Vartii, talk about himself.


The Commander - in his own words. 
“It’s not about winning or losing, it’s about removing the obstacle and moving onto the next objective. What the obstacle is, whoever it may be, is irrelevant. The same applies to whatever needs to be done to remove the obstacle. If it requires a death, then however regretful that may be, death will be the solution I apply. I’m Commander Vartii, by the way. I command the garrison here at Setergard, a former religious centre at the gateway to the Vale of Olrad. Ah, you’re wondering about what possible lessons life has taught me to make me so cold. You’ll understand that I don’t see this as a problem, others may see it that way, but in my position it’s an advantage. My authority here at Setergard is absolute. It was granted to me by the Saratarian order in the name of our god Saranythia. I was chosen for the role because of the very qualities I’ve just described. I like to believe that I’m fair minded but firm. I certainly don’t have a problem with discipline which I take as confirmation that my approach to command works.  A command that I’ve held for over eighty years, far longer than any other commander before me, and I might add, more successful. As a result, the townsfolk in Olrad refer to the warriors here as The Varton. But, I digress.

Life’s lessons. Well I suppose my journey to the position of commander started early. I must have been around eight years old when I learned that life really isn’t fair, and that the only person who was going look after my interests, was me. As you can see, I’m strong but physically quite small and slight, not really warrior material. When I was a child my stature was a major disadvantage, especially given the rough games we played. It’s around that age that we learn to block our thoughts to others. You can’t win any game if your opponents all know what your next move is. Of course at eight years old the older kids can easily bypass your attempts to block them. Things improve with time, but in these matters, practice does not always make perfect. Now I know what you’re thinking, the ever popular life lesson of older boys picking on me because they could, and that did happen, but there were only five of them, and they didn’t necessarily single me out, they were quite liberal with their attentions. No, the event that set me on the path to commander centred on a songbird.

In the town of Olrad where I grew up, life centred on the worship of Saranythia, and the word of the Red Friars of the Saratarian order was law. Now, long story short, my father had promised to buy me a caged songbird from the market and I’d gone into the house of worship to give thanks to Saranythia. While I was in there I overheard two Friars talking. They mentioned the name Amantarra and I thought it would be a good name for the bird I’d been promised. As I was leaving, one of the Friars asked what I’d been giving thanks for, so I told him and mentioned the name I’d chosen. Now I’d seen anger before, but this was different. His voice was controlled, and physically he didn’t touch me, but his thoughts hit me and knocked me off my feet. He told me that Amantarra was a sacred name known only to the Saratarian order and I should forget I’d heard it. Of course my father refused to buy the bird for me as a punishment for angering the Friar, but that unfair decision wasn’t what changed me. The powerful thoughts the Friar assailed me with caused me to instinctively throw up mental defences that normally take decades to learn. That wasn’t all, I struck out at the Friar with my mind in an attempt to stop the onslaught that threatened to overwhelm me. At that age my attack should have been ineffectual against a trained Friar, but it wasn’t, it worked and I managed to deflect his anger onto my father. The result of that, was no songbird.

It took me years to work out how I’d done it. All members of the Saratarian order, like the warriors I command, carry a blue orb in their abdomens. The orb links us to the power of Saranythia and confirms our commitment to her. As I’d thrown up my defences I sensed the power of the Friar’s orb, and through it I could sense the Friar. Instinctively, and it was pure instinct, what I’d done was to use the link and the orb’s power to deflect the Friar’s attention onto my father. It was the discovery of that ability changed me, because after, I found I could influence anyone. As a result, I never lost another game, or fight, and the three bullies who survived my revenge learnt to avoid me and the fear I could inject into their thoughts. To this day I regret the two deaths, they were after all only a couple of years older than me, still children, but I suppose some people just can’t cope with being shown their own nightmares.”



Raised amid the heavy industry of the north-east of England on a diet of Star Trek, Doctor Who and fantasy novels, RICHARD J. GALLOWAY rebelled against his school's assumption that heavy industrial work would be his vocation. Having exhausted the only apparent option, the careers master would despair. “If you don’t want to work in the steelworks, where do you want to work?” His reply was always, “I don’t know.” The industry he finished up in would not materialise for another ten years. No wonder the master struggled. From school, via drawing office and architecture, eventually he found himself working with large computer systems.
Career aside, the thread that bound it all together has been fantasy. He has never lost his fascination with the imagery that a good story invokes. After all it had shown him worlds beyond this one, and possibilities beyond the steelworks. It continues to do so.
Richard still lives in the north-east of England with his wife, family, and a large cat called Beano. The heavy industry has shrunk, but Richard’s world of fantasy has grown. He often wonders what advice he would have been given if the careers master had read the occasional bit of science fiction.

Richard’s first novel Amantarra was published in 2013, followed in 2017 and 2018 by the first two parts of its sequel SaranythiaThe Gates of Setergard and The Varton.

Visit Richard online at: www.richardjgalloway.com
And follow him on Facebook and Twitter.


You can find more about Saranythia in this interview with Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment