Westworld: the epilogue without an ending

 My thoughts on one of the best sci-fi series in the last 10 years


© HBO


In the past, I happened to talk about the TV series “Westworld” on FantascientifiCast (the link will take you to an English translation on my blog). However, the podcast episode and article only focused on the first season, as it was the only one that had been produced to that point.

 

It was followed by three more seasons.

 

If you have not seen the second and third seasons, stop reading, as you may find some spoilers. On the fourth, however, I limit myself to making some considerations, but which only really make sense to those who know what I’m talking about. In short, this article is mainly aimed at those who have seen the entire series.

 

The second season represented a true continuation of the first, since the story still took place within the park. At the time, I found its ending exciting, because it would have satisfied me even if they hadn’t renewed the series for more seasons. What I wanted was for the story to continue outside the park, in the real world of the future. An open ending like this, with the escape of Dolores (or rather her artificial intelligence), was at least a promise of this continuation.

 

One of the reasons I love open endings in stories where there’s a lot that is left unresolved is that I can always imagine for myself what happens next.

But then the third season actually arrived, and it was even better than expected.

What I appreciated is precisely the way in which it represents an extreme take on our reality, in which everything we do could be influenced by the data (information, advertising, etc.) that is shown to us based on our browsing habits and on what we interact with when we are online. If whatever manages what we are continuously exposed to was not an algorithm whose final aim is only to induce us to buy products, but an artificial super-intelligenceits ability to condition our vision of reality to push us to become what it wants (or what someone else has decided) does not seem like something impossible at all.

 

I must admit that while watching the third season, I looked several times with suspicion at the cookie banner that appears every time I visit a site for the first time!

For my personal taste, up to that point my appreciation of Westworld had been growing, so I was afraid of what I would find in the fourth season. After I finished watching it, however, my first comment was: wow!

 

I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of all the episodes and I can confirm that it is my favourite science fiction series after Battlestar Galactica.

It is practically impossible to go into detail without spoiling, so I will limit myself to a few scattered considerations.

 

After the finale of season three, which partly seemed to take inspiration from the basic idea of the film “Futureworld” (the sequel to the original film “Westworld” by Crichton), I didn’t know what to expect from this fourth. I certainly didn’t expect to find myself faced with a real role reversal between humans and androids. In reality, the theme of conditioning of freewill by an artificial intelligence (metaphor of the current algorithms that already influence our lives), which is dear to me (and which you can find in some of my books), should have warned me. The evolution that takes place in the fourth season, after all, seems like an almost natural consequence, in terms of the logic of developing a story. Except that it is taken so far beyond the initial premises that it leaves the viewer speechless.

 

Added to all this, there are the numerous elements inserted into the plot that brought to mind similar elements I used in my books (I can’t tell you what it is, because it would be a huge spoiler!), albeit in a completely different context. Seeing my fantasies shown in a similar way by a science fiction series of this level was truly exciting. It’s a sort of creative convergence that made me feel in perfect harmony with this work of fiction. At moments, it was as if the TV was reading my mind and showing me the story I wanted to see. Crazy.

 

All this exaltation, however, did not prevent me from pointing out some critical aspects.

 

First, I asked myself some questions that were not answered.

Is there only one city left in the world? Or are there others too, and are they all made the same way? From what we see in the series, the first option seems to be the correct one, but nothing is explained, which is undoubtedly a shortcoming.

If this is the situation, it seems a bit excessive to me, even if 23 years have passed.

And, speaking of excesses, the events in the last episode seemed a little rushed to me.

 

Honestly, I don’t like apocalyptic contexts, because that’s what it’s all about, and in particular it bothered me that in a certain sense the story, which, once out of the park, had opened up to a thousand possibilities, is now tremendously closed in on itself.

These aspects, however, do not undermine the good quality of the rest of the series, which deals with very current themes literally surrounding us, and does so by reinventing them in a dystopian future through a very complicated plot (another aspect that is particularly congenial to me). In short, it forces us to think on multiple levels, both to find our current reality in it and to put together the myriad of pieces that are shown to us in non-chronological order, in order to be able to get to the bottom of it. Its vision is a real challenge.

 

Furthermore, it must be considered that this story is not over.

The finale of the season, in reality, is not an ending. The authors deliberately left it open in the hope of a renewal for a final season. Unfortunately, however, a few months later, the confirmation arrived that the series had been cancelled.

 

It’s really a shame, because I was really curious to see what they would have come up with, since really, after the tragic events of the last episode, they had got themselves into quite a mess. Of course, they had the possibility of taking the story where they wanted, given that they had practically made a clean sweep of everything else, but the risk of coming out with an inadequate epilogue was very high.

 

In all honesty, if they had renewed it, I would never have wanted to find myself in the shoes of the creators and screenwriters.

 

Who knows, maybe one day some production company will acquire the rights to complete the story. Or I would like them to publish the ending as a novel, so I could imagine it in my head with greater freedom, and if I didn’t like it, pretend it never existed.

 

Or maybe it’s better to leave it like that, like something that could have been perfect. Thanks to the absence of a real ending, nothing will be able to deny this impression.

 

There is certainly one thing I hope for most of all, that is, that they never make a reboot of it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment