Camp NaNoWriMo April 2015: I won!

A month ago I announced that I’d participate in the April session of Camp NaNoWriMo of this year to write my next science fiction novel, “Per caso” (By Chance). Well, about an hour ago I passed the threshold of 50,000 words (indeed, I reached 50,500 words) and therefore I officially won Camp NaNoWriMo April 2015!

I’m really happy, because I hadn’t written something completely new since November 2013, and I slowly fell in love with this story. The first draft of the book is not yet complete. I think I’ll get to 53 or 54 thousand words, but now the worst is over. I need one or two more writing sessions for the latest scenes: one with a little bit of action and the last one with the final twist.

“Per caso” is undoubtedly the strangest book I’ve written so far (it’s the ninth!). It’s a collection of many things, from space opera, which is just a context, and complex topics like the inability to understand what (and those who are) is different. The basic themes are randomness as the sole engine of events and the knowledge of the enemy, who could even become a friend in particular circumstances.
In this regard I remembered (and have even a little got inspiration from) an old movie seen as a young girl on TV: “Enemy Mine” by Wolfgang Petersen and with Dennis Quaid.

I will speak more of this book in the future. It’ll be published in Italian by the end of this year. I hope it won’t take too much then to be available in English, too. For now I want to celebrate the milestone of exceeding 50,000 words and the fact that I know what to write with those missing words.

No comments:

Post a Comment